Left Facebook... and surviving!

Over the past few months I have been considering leaving Facebook. I have been an active poster and regularly read information from my hometown, Truro, Nova Scotia. Logging on to FB was not an obsession, but it was among several things I did shortly after waking... along with reading several electronic new sources... although I never thought of or used FB as a news source other than to check out "what is happening at home?".

I was considering leaving because of all the news about FB being hacked; about FB selling and/or using my data and information to advertisers; allowing foreign governments and agents to use the platform to influence voting in the 2018 Presidential Election; and I got very tired of Mark Zuckerberg not reacting to requests to tighten security at FB.

Last week, one of my friends from Truro let me know that she has received several "friend requests" from me... we were already friends, so it seemed fishy to her! I checked my FB account, it didn't appear to have been hacked, but I realized that I am not savvy enough to know, for sure. This led me to expanded thinking about all that I don't know about FB, and yet, I was at times pouring my guts into posts on politics, healthcare, cycling and so on.

It was a short leap to leaving as a result of these realizations. I had left before, because I had projects to focus on and I found FB to be a suck on my time. But I hadn't ever considered the lack of understanding of the technical aspects of having Facebook deep in my life. It will be some time before I can completely extract myself... I hadn't thought through losing Messenger when I dropped FB... that's a problem! I do have Whatsapp, and use it with some folks... but Messenger is really slick... and several friends use it... I will get over it!

So, I am finally off the site... will remain off. Several friends sent me contacts to use to communicate, but I have decided that using my Blogspot will be my main tool... will continue to comment on politics, healthcare, cycling and so on.

All the best... BRuce

Comments

Popular Posts