Today, well, I took a day off. Shamus and I walked the hill at around 0800 and there were some fearsome clouds coming over the mountains in back of the house... I decided to take the time to go to my Garmin Maps for the Cabot Trail and combine them with the information that I received from Give to Live, that had all the pit-stops along the route mapped... 

Planning for the ride is important... my Garmin is estimating that I am burning just under 2,550 calories for each 100 kilometers. Strava.com is converting the GarminConnect data and coming up with 1,800 for 100 kilometers. That's a big difference! Getting hungry is not the signal that it is time to eat... that is hours too late... and yet, eating too much can cause a problem with perfusion to the legs.

The pit stops are on the order of 30 km from one another... too far to really load calories, so it will be important to bring energy. Also, if the temperature is over 22 - 25 we should have more water on board to avoid dehydration and temperature problems. I am trying to find a moving support car for my ride. This is safety for me, since I am not certain my knee will hold up, and I don't want to put a strain on G2L to pick me up when others may need support.

On another front, we need to push on the donation front. The G2L team seems uncomfortable with where we are in the fundraising. I put out urgent requests for additional donations, today. This is a particularly difficult time for many of our donors... while I am at 80% of target, and plan to get to $6,000, I need to push to help put the team over the top.

Two weeks tonight we will be oiling the chains, checking the torques, tyres, brakes, lights and kits. We start the ride at 0515 on Saturday the 18th of July... lots more to do in the training rides and planking/weight work... one kilogram left to lose, hope I'm in shape.

Comments

Popular Posts